This brief guide will provide instructions on how to test your camera and microphone before you tech check. As a respondent, it is your responsibility to ensure your camera and microphone are in working order before submitting your tech check video.
You can do a pre-call test to ensure your camera and microphone are working and that your connection is serviceable via our video API's test site.
*Note - Interviews that are audio-only, only require a working microphone.
How to Test Your Camera and Microphone Before Your Tech Check
1. Navigate to: https://tokbox.com/developer/tools/precall/
2. Click on Run Test
3. Allow the test to check your audio and video quality and stability. The test will make recommendations to troubleshoot or improve based on the results.
4. If your video is working and you have selected your correct device, you will see yourself in the Video results screen. (only applies if required for the session)
5. If your audio is working and you have selected your correct device, you will see a green indicator in the Audio results when you are speaking.
6. If your connection to our API servers is serviceable, you will see all green checkmarks under Connectivity to OpenTok Servers
7. If your connection is not serviceable you will see a message regarding the expected call quality
If you passed this test, read about how to record your tech check!
If you did not pass this test, try these troubleshooting options to help correct any impaired devices:
Use/install/update to the latest version of Chrome (preferred), Firefox, Edge, or Safari.
Restart your computer and access the link again.
Remove any other devices on your wifi connection (phones, tablets, etc)
Completely close any other browsers or programs (Skype, Zoom, Teams) that may also be accessing the camera and microphone.
Record your video with wired headphones/earbuds with a microphone -- do not use BlueTooth headphones.
At the top of your browser in the address bar, you should find a webcam or a lock symbol. Click there to allow and/or select your microphone and camera. This should allow our site access.
Open an Incognito window in Chrome or an InPrivate window in Firefox/Edge and COPY then PASTE the link into the new browser.
Try again on a different browser. Chrome and Firefox are free and easy to download.
Refresh your page at any time.
Use an Ethernet cable to wire directly into your modem/router.